MAMABirth is an evidence-based childbirth education course written & facilitated by MAMA midwife, Hayley. She combines her passion & wisdom as an experienced midwife with the latest research evidence to cover topics from pregnancy, labour, birth, the early postnatal period, baby care and breastfeeding. Hayley focuses on keeping normal “normal”, while giving you resources and strategies to navigate the ups and downs of your childbearing journey with confidence.
MAMABirth childbirth education classes:
- are inclusive – all expectant parents welcome!
- are capped to small numbers – no more than 8 women & their support people – for an intimate, inclusive & interactive learning environment.
- are written & presented by qualified, registered midwives, not just someone who took a weekend training course!
- are independent & evidence-based, which means there’s no:
- aim to make you feel excited & empowered
- aim to help you make informed decisions & communicate these with your health care providers
- are tailored to you; We send you a pre-class survey to find out more about you & your interests/goals
- do not show gory or graphic videos or photos
- are suitable for women in ANY model of care –
- 2 x 5hr weekend classes in Kensington – MAMABirth 1&2, 3&4
- 4 x 2.5hr weekday evening classes in Kensington – MAMABirth 1, 2, 3, 4
- Private Education (1 to 1) available – please contact Hayley at email@example.com for more information
- MAMABirth 1: The last few weeks of pregnancy; hormonal physiology of labour; the early stages of labour; tips for setting up your birth environment, coping strategies, choosing your support team; “natural” ways to encourage labour; perineal massage; antenatal colostrum expressing; optimal fetal positioning (including “Spinning Babies” techniques); Group B Strep screening; Options for models of care & place of birth
- MAMABirth 2: the continuum “stages” of labour; the sensations of labour; what the baby’s doing; assessment techniques; active labour positions; massage techniques; relaxation & breathing; writing a birth plan; informed decision-making B.R.A.I.N. acronym
- MAMABirth 3: working out your pain preferences; dos & don’ts for partners; non-pharmacological pain relief options (TENS, water immersion, sterile water injections); pharmacological pain relief options (epidural, nitrous oxide gas, opioids); birthing the placenta; cutting the cord; the role of interventions & what to expect (caesarean births, instrumental births (forceps & vacuums), induction of labour)
- MAMABirth 4: the first 24hrs (skin-to-skin, first breastfeed, Vitmain K, Hepatitis B vaccine); newborn screening test; first bath; breastfeeding (research facts, colostrum vs mature milk, supply & demand, tips for attachment & positioning, frequency of feeds, how to tell if baby’s getting enough, seeking help, troubleshooting tips); normal infant sleep; settling tips; safe sleeping recommendations; postnatal recovery for mum; emotional health
Please note this is a general overview of content explored in great detail in the classes. Each class & series are a little different as we tailor the content to the needs & wishes of our participants.
Cost is $380 for full childbirth education series, which includes:
- Tea, coffee & light refreshments
- Comprehensive resource pack including MAMABirth booklet
- Ongoing phone & email support from the MAMABirth team after your course
- $50 MAMA Services allied health voucher
- Photography discount voucher from Lacey Barratt Photography
For more information visit: https://www.mamabirtheducation.com/