MAMA Birth Childbirth Education
MAMABirth is an evidence-based childbirth education course written & facilitated by MAMA midwives Hayley & Rachel. We combine our passion & wisdom as experienced midwives with the latest research evidence to cover topics from pregnancy, labour, birth, the early postnatal period, baby care and breastfeeding. We focus on keeping normal “normal”, while giving you resources and strategies to navigate the ups and downs of your childbearing journey with confidence.
MAMABirth childbirth education classes:
- are capped to small numbers, no more than 8 couples!
- are written & presented by experienced registered midwives
- present the best available evidence NOT hospital policies or practitioner preferences
- are suitable for women in ANY model of care (e.g. private midwife, public or private hospital, shared care, obstetrician care etc.) & any planned place of birth (e.g. home or hospital births)
- aim to make you feel excited, prepared & empowered about labour, birth & parenting
- aim to help you make informed decisions & communicate these with your health care providers
- are tailored to the individual needs of our participants & updated regularly according to the latest evidence
- welcome parents of all kinds including single parents, LGBTI parents, parents expecting twins/multiples etc.
- do not show gory or graphic videos or photos
- 2 x 5hr weekend classes in Kensington – MAMABirth 1&2, 3&4
- 4 x 2.5hr weekday evening classes in Kensington – MAMABirth 1, 2, 3, 4
- Private Education (1 to 1) available – please call MAMA ( 03 9376 7474) for more information
- MAMABirth 1: the last few weeks of pregnancy, the physiology of labour (hormones), early labour, perineal massage, antenatal colostrum expressing, breathing/relaxation strategies, optimal foetal positioning, GBS screening, complementary therapies
- MAMABirth 2: the continuum of labour (psychological, emotional & physical changes), active labour, working with pain vs pain relief, promoting normal birth, pregnancy extending beyond 40 weeks, creating a birth plan, B.R.A.I.N. decision-making acronym, informed consent
- MAMABirth 3: the role of assessment techniques & interventions, the gate control theory of pain relief – sterile water injections, TENS, massage etc., water immersion, pharmacological pain relief (epidurals, opioids, nitrous oxide), the birth (“2nd stage”), birthing the placenta (“3rd stage”), helping baby to transition to life outside the womb, caesarean births, preparing for the unexpected (episiotomy, forceps, vacuum, meconium liquor, PPROM, prem labour, pre-eclampsia etc.)
- MAMABirth 4: baby’s first 24 hours, neonatal screen test, Hep B vaccine, Vitamin K, bath, skin to skin & kangaroo care, breastfeeding, feeding cues, normal newborn behaviour & patterns, settling & soothing, safe sleeping & SIDS, normal nappies, postpartum recovery, emotional health after baby, celebrating our journey
Please note this is a general overview of content explored in great detail in the classes. Each class & series are a little different as we tailor the content to the needs & wishes of our participants.
Cost is $380 for full childbirth education series, which includes:
- Tea, coffee & light refreshments
- Comprehensive resource pack including MAMABirth booklet
- Ongoing phone & email support from the MAMABirth team after your course
- $50 MAMA Services allied health voucher
- Photography discount voucher from Lacey Barratt Photography
For more information visit: https://www.mamabirtheducation.com/