Aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of essential oils, highly concentrated aromatic extracts from plants. Essential oils can be used in many applications to influence, alter or modify mind, body or spirit; physiology or mood. Pregnancy brings many changes, physically, psychologically and socially. There is often some concern about the use of aromatherapy during pregnancy. However, under qualified, expert care aromatherapy can enhance wellbeing through each stage of pregnancy in the following ways:-
- May help to alleviate common discomforts such as nausea, muscular complaints, varicose veins, haemorrhoids, pruritis (itch), fatigue, insomnia and emotional upsets.
- To help maintain good general health through regular use of essential oils and prevention and early treatment of infections
- Support your pregnancy through reduction of stress and anxiety and ensure good sleep patterns.
- Preparation for labour, both physically and psychologically.
Research regarding the use of essential oils during pregnancy and birth is very positive leading to aromatherapy being incorporated into various health care settings. Aromatherapy can be combined with massage to support the changing body during pregnancy and is valuable for birth preparation.
Aromatherapy can be employed for childbirth to help reduce anxiety, encourage relaxation, promote uterine contractions and relieve pain as well as to treat associated symptoms such as nausea and fatigue. Fear, anxiety and stress can have a negative impact on the commencement and progress of labour. Odour has a direct pathway to the area of the brain that governs fear and research shows the use of positive aromas can help to reduce pain perception.
Consultation with a qualified aromatherapist is strongly recommended when using essential oils during pregnancy. Sonya uses high quality essential oils and a variety of massage techniques safe and appropriate for each stage of pregnancy.
Aromatherapy can also be beneficial to nurture new mothers as they recover from birth and adjust to the demands of motherhood. Essential oils can be useful for birth recovery, breastfeeding issues, poor sleep and feelings of anxiety, depression, and low confidence.
A thorough consultation is taken to determine your physical and psychological health to ensure essential oil treatments can be prescribed specific to your needs. Personalised aromatic remedies can be employed to treat many health complaints and enhance well being. Health issues that can benefit from aromatic treatments include:
- colds & flu, skin disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, infections
- morning sickness, pregnancy related issues, mastitis and breastfeeding problems
- stress, anxiety and depression
- physical and emotional ailments of babies and children
aromatic remedies at extra cost
You can also buy some fabulous aromatherapy products in our clinics, or online here