This article originally appeared at www.mumlifeaustralia.com
For most new-parents the first couple of weeks after a child is born can be the most overwhelming. After all, there’s a lot to learn about caring for a newborn. But knowing what to expect can certainly make those first days together a lot more memorable (for the right reasons!).
MAMA midwife & MAMABirth presenter Hayley recently sat down with Ani from MumLife Australia to record a podcast all about what mums can expect from the first 48 hours with their newborn.
What We’re Talking About:
- The importance of skin-to-skin contact immediately following birth
- The optimal timing of cord clamping for the prevention of iron deficiency in infants
- The purpose of the Vitamin K injection and Hepatitis B vaccine at birth
- What to expect from a baby’s first breastfeed
- A newborn baby’s instinct to crawl to the breast to feed (the breast crawl)
- A baby’s second night (yes, it’s actually a ‘thing’!)
- Common challenges faced by new breastfeeding mums
- Antenatal colostrum expressing – what it involves and why you may consider it
- Supplementing breastmilk with formula and alternatives to breastfeeding
- The importance of well-informed support networks