As at 6 August 2020. The health of our clients, staff and communities is our primary concern. Midwifery services are still available with strict adjustments for social distancing and cleanliness. The current stage 4 restrictions here in Victoria are limiting the practices of our Allied Health Practitioners. Read on to learn more about these changes and how they will impact you.
Practicing as COVID-normal, with limited in-person appointments as per recommendations from RANZCOG and strict social distancing and cleanliness adjustments in place. More info about our Midwifery services during COVID-19 can be found at the bottom of this page.
Chiropractic, Lactation Consultant, Traditional Chinese Medicine & Acupuncture, Women’s Health Physiotherapy
As per Government regulations, during Stage 4 Restrictions in-person appointments for these services are ONLY available for those who:
- are experiencing severe pain or physical symptoms that are significantly impacting daily life
- cannot manage symptoms any longer, and require professional help immediately (would seek treatment from GP, specialist or hospital in the absence of Allied Health treatment)
Routine or preventative services are not permitted at this time.
Examples of symptoms that could be considered necessary and urgent:
- severe musculoskeletal pain as described above (i.e. pelvic girdle pain)
- acute perineal pain or suspected prolapse
- severe breastfeeding pain (i.e. acute nipple trauma)
- blocked duct, mastitis or severe engorgement
- severe pregnancy symptoms as described above (i.e. hyperemesis)
- TCM for induction (if would otherwise present at hospital)
Online bookings for these services have been disabled until 17 September. If you feel you may require in-person care, please call Reception at 9376 7474 or email email@example.com We are committed to supporting you and will be able to get you in touch with the appropriate practitioner.
Lauren (Physio), Millicent (TCM) and Sarah (LC) are also available for online consults for non-urgent matters or if you aren’t sure which service is best. These can be booked online as usual.
If you have have a non-urgent matter or would like to book for routine care, bookings can be made for after 17 September.
Practicing via Telehealth (video consultation)
Paediatrics: valid referral required; Medicare rebates available
Psychology: Medicare rebate available with Mental Health Care Plan
Social Distancing and Cleanliness
In adherence with current restrictions, we are doing the following.
1. Limiting number of rooms in use and ensuring these are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected throughout the day and after each use
2. Limiting number of practitioners on-site at any given time and adding time between appointments.
3. Screening clients to ensure they are not experiencing symptoms and have not come in contact with COVID-19
4. Limiting number of people in clinic to just essential staff and individual client . We ask that where practical you come alone to your appointment.
5. Minimizing use of common areas including toilets, kitchens, lobby. Frequently disinfecting these areas throughout the day.
6. Cancelling or offering online all group events/classes
MAMA Reception and Admin Team
Our reception staff and administrative team is working primarily from home. We are still “here” but not in the way you are used to. When you come in for an appointment, you will be seen by the midwife/practitioner only. She will let you in and out of the clinic, and if necessary book your next appointment. Reception staff will call to follow up on any invoicing or scheduling matters later in the day. Our voicemail and email are monitored from home, so please leave a voicemail message or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org We will be in touch as soon as possible.
Additional Classes & Services Currently Offered Remotely
- Aromatherapy Consultations
- MAMABirth Education
- Lamaze Education
- Pregnancy Yoga – Saturdays 8:30am
- Divine Woman Meditation Class
- Sleep Expectations Class
- Breastfeeding for Expectant Parents
- Infant Massage for Parents
- Student Midwife Workshops
Midwifery Care Details
MAMA midwives will continue to support all labour at home and birth at home. They cannot at this time support birth at hospital.
We have four primary midwives and one (soon to be two!) second midwives working at the moment. Jan is self-quarantined indefinitely. Jan will be available 24/7 via phone and will organise midwives to attend as needed. She will answer all queries for labour which will allow our other midwives to increase their rest hours. Jan will have no face to face care with clients.
Kelly, Rachel, Margaret and Marita will continue antenatal visits at MAMA clinics. They will see only one client at a time for a short visit in person, with the remainder of the consultation being held via phone. Heightened cleaning and sanitisation protocols will be used between clients. Home visits will be the same with telehealth phone calls outside the house, then a 15 minute clinical in the home.
If a midwife has a temperature or symptoms, she will require testing and will not be available until in the clear.
The advice for our clients
1. Be brave, be confident. We are all a family and we must all care for each other
2. Wherever possible, pregnant mums and partners should self-quarantine from 36 weeks
3. Minimal persons at birth in home
4. Please accept these restrictions. We have your babies’ and the community’s (namely all the grandparents’) best interests at heart
More information about midwifery care is coming soon. If you are interested in using MAMA Services for your upcoming birth, please book an initial telehealth consultation below.
Midwifery Care Handouts
As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, so will MAMA. Updates will be posted here as well as on our social media accounts and be sent to our mailing list. Please stay in touch with any questions or concerns. Sending you lots of love and know that we will get through this together.